Thursday, December 6, 2012

Purpose Of Life

The title of this post points to a very very philosophical piece. But, what I am going to write is just a teeny tiny epiphany I had while sitting in my Modern Europe history class yesterday.

 We were discussing the fall of communism, how it happened, what led to the down fall etc. All interesting things I must say. My professor mentioned something about our consumer generation and how most of us today only care about how much 'stuff' we have; the unnecessary luxury items, such and such. All we care about is getting out of school, landing a great, well paying job only to buy more 'stuff'.

It's true, I completely agree with him. Many of us want jobs to have have a better lifestyle that's full of things we don't necessarily depend on in order to live. We go to classes that are required for our majors, sit through them, pay attention and make sure we understand the material. Other classes? We (well, I) sit there and think of it as my relaxing class and sometimes sleep. (My history class for example. Ironic. Lol)

What is my point in life? Is it really to land a great job?
Great. I'm awesome at doing my job as an engineer. What about after that?
Put me in a discussion about classic literature, I will have absolutely nothing to say because I never learned anything about it. Put me in a discussion concerning politics. Zip. Nothing.

Is that really what I want?

I think I found my purpose in life. I want to be well rounded, aware of more than just my field of expertise. I don't want to live in a closed off box working my dream job all of my life.

Accomplishing this goal I set for myself to become an environmental engineer is merely one piece to my life puzzle.

There's more to it than that.

Cheers to getting the most out of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment